Friday, August 27, 2010

Can you have a healthy CF diet?

Having Cystic Fibrosis, I am put on an insane diet. Not the normal diet that most of you know. My diet is, pack in as many calories a day, hoping I've hit 4,000 calorie; and to make sure it contains a lot of fat and protein. For those of you that don't know, Cystic Fibrosis also effects my pancreas. My pancreas does not produce enzymes, such as lipase, that breakdown fat and protein; resulting in no absorption of fat or protein ever. In order to try and fix this I take enzymes with practically everything I eat. It is extremely hard for me to gain weight and the second I gain one pound I usually jump for joy.

With being put on this enormous diet I tend to only focus on how much calories, fat and protein I can consume. Since I focus on this, the things I tend to eat probably aren't that healthy for me. I want to challenge all my CFer's to try and eat healthy getting in all the veggies, fiber, grains, (basically all the food groups), while still getting all the extra calories in the whole required for the CF diet. If any CFer's have some tips out there I would greatly appreciate them!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Brie,

    I have just read a few of your blogs and found them really interesting and exciting.

    I am studying to become a dietitian as well so I found your blog when I went looking for some info on CF for an assignment.

    I just wanted to encourage you in what you're doing because I think your positive attitude is amazing and truly inspirational.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete